Tuesday, March 15, 2011

tread lightly

Before I get into the nitty gritty of the sights and sounds of this really cool city there is one thing you should know. When you're walking here, always look down.



WHOA!

This place is littered with this kind of treachery. I have yet to take a spill, but just know that it's coming. And it will be hilarious.

Apparently it's part of the culture for flirty, (or, rather, all), Argentine men to look directly into the eyes of women as they walk past them in the street. If women look away the men can normally tell they are foreign. It is customary to hold their gaze as you walk past. The flirtatiousness in this city is never-ending... for better or worse. But I don't glide with the swan-like grace of a Latin woman. My goal is always to move with the grace of a quick-moving dinosaur. I'm just trying to get to where I need to go. I look away and down so that I don't plunge to my death into the street where a bus is whizzing by or fall head-on into the crotch of the man who's giving me the opposite-of-evil eye. I don't know which of the two would lead to a more dire situation. Bus or crotch? Who knows. For now I'm just going to keep looking down and be a foreigner.

1 comment:

  1. It's also important to look down to avoid the abundant dog poo!!!

    ReplyDelete