Thursday, February 17, 2011

Me and Mexico

..might be in love. What a beautiful & interesting country, with beautiful and interesting people! There's so much to tell. Luckily I brought a little notebook with me in my purse to write down all the random thoughts I had or things I saw. I would love to share that with you now so that you may better know the highlights of my trip to Mexico...:) I give you part one...

Day 1: Travel / Acapulco

- sat next to a man with an authentic Jamaican accent on the plane, was in heaven, took this as a good omen

- flight attendant looked like Anthony from Designing Women, also took this as a good omen

- my friend Belen who lives in Mexico picked me up from the airport! *wipes brow*

- ate some delicious seafood from a place called Treinador

- Belen took me to "La Quedabra" which is a place where the famous cliff divers of Acapulco do their stuff. I was completely aw-struck. Men of all ages that could fit in your pocket climb rocks and then plunge gracefully several stories into rocky water.


- amazed by the beautiful lights on the mountains around Acapulco driving home, also amazed at how incredibly nice Belen is

Day 2: Acapulco

- went to breakfast at "La Granja" a mexican tradition

- ate some delicious oatmeal-type stuff from a traditional handmade basin, also drank interesting papaya juice

- it's called "La Granja" which means Zoo because there is a little zoo behind the restaurant. here live some of the saddest animals i have ever seen, including a little raccoon that i wanted to carry out in my bag were it not for the risk of him mauling me embarrassingly


- went to a lovely beach, rode a 4 wheeler around for a half an hour, felt like a bad ass

- watched a gorgeous sunset with Belen


- later at home, Belen and I gussy up for a night on the town, realized how frumpy I am as she emerged from the bathroom like some ancient Mayan goddess, more on that later

- on the way out of the house to go out we met a couple in Belen's neighborhood who could not get into their daughter's apartment, Belen spent almost 2 hours trying to help them break the lock with everything she could find in her midst. heart. of. GOLD.

- we didn't go out this night as it was very late after we finished with the couple, but we did go out to have a lovely glass of wine at a nice restaurant at the local mall

Day 3: Acapulco

- had a picnic in the backyard of ham & cheese sandwiches

- we to La Capilla de la Paz (Chapel of Peace) to see Acapulco from the top of a huge mountain, amazing view ensues


- went onto a naval ship and walked around deck, heard "Uptown Girl" playing

- went to the oldtown part of Acapulco and took a boat around the peninsula

- ate at Zorritos, a place my old boss suggested to go to for awesome authentic Mexican food, she was totally right

- while there I was enchanted by the servers who were all older men. there was a cute little girl of like 3 or 4 running around to each one and they scooped her up and hugged her each time she came and then let her down to run back to her mom


- went home to find what Belen described as little "takatakas" because they make that takataka sound when they run. turns out the takatakas are little white lizards with black eyes. we found one near my computer cord. i'm proud to say i didn't scream when i saw it, but i did stay frighteningly conscious of it's whereabouts when it scampered away.


- las hormigas - ants!! they're everywhere, houses, walls, sidewalks, everywhere!

- went out to "Paradise" a nice little nightclub on a touristy strip, met 3 European guys from a country i didn't know when they first told me (maybe i had a few daquiris, maybe i didn't, turns out much later it was Slovenia!). they stuck out just as much as I did. white. we made friends with them and belen even offered to take them home to the copa cabana where they were staying (of course). one was especially drunk and kept singing a song he knew in English (mcdonald's, KFC, pizza hut, repeat). he kept referring to American music and other American things and saying to me, YOU know what i'm talking about. yes, i do know kurt cobain. we got home around 4 or 5.

all of this in 3 days! more soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment