Tuesday, January 24, 2012

i look like...

I was at a liquor store, a while ago, with a friend buying... alcohol ... and the woman behind the counter gave me what I think she thought was a compliment. She stared at me for a while before she gave me my total and then, while pointing at me, said I looked like a mix between Sigourney Weaver and Sally Field. She quickly added "the younger version" when she saw my smile falter, but it was too late. The damage was done.



These women are movie stars, I should be happy, right? Except that both of these women are my mom's age. And my mom was old when she had me. And what random women, huh? "You look like two older movie stars who were more active in the 70s and 80s than the 90s or today." Should I say thank you? Or should I slap this woman with the very credit card I'm using to pay for my alcohol?

Also, not all thoughts like this should be shared. Unless you're telling me I look like Hotty Current McHollywood, maybe you better keep that to yourself. My friend knows a guy who she thinks looks exactly like Lionheart from the Carebears because of his face and big flowing mane of red hair. Would she ever tell this guy? No. I've seen guys that look like Steve Zahn. Would I go out of my way to tell them that mildly offensive fact? No.

So here's to keeping some things to ourselves.

2 comments:

  1. When I was a cashier at Michael's, I was told daily that I looked like Melissa Joan Hart (or "Sabrina!" if a mom was pointing it out to her little daughter) who I find incredibly ugly... But, I guess not everyone thinks she's ugly (same w/ Sally and Sigourney), so maybe they didn't mean it to be an insult. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I suppose. Doesn't mean people should blurt out whatever they're thinking, however. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm that friend, and I might tell him he looks like lionheart, because let's face it.. he really does. more than lionheart, I think because this guy's real

    ReplyDelete