Thursday, August 18, 2011

lying



**not an actual photo of my student, this is Jermaine Jackson

One of my favorite students shares a name with one of the members of the Jackson 5. To protect his identity, (from the 2 or 3 people I know who read this and probably already know who I'm talking about anyway), I will call him by the name of one of the other Jackson brothers.

So Jermaine and I were having a deep discussion the other day about lying. He was trying to definitively decide when it's right and when it's wrong. He made some good points, such as when someone asks if they look nice, especially if they are a woman, you should always say yes, even if it's not true. I was surprised to hear an Argentine say this since they have never seemed to hesitate in the past to tell me when I look like horse shit. Like my hairdresser/guy friend who I met in a bar who almost immediately told me my haircut looked awful on me. I didn't think they sugarcoated anything, but I guess I was wrong.

Jermaine continued, "like if I were to tell you you were the most beautiful woman in the world, you know that's bullshit, but I lie anyway."

Alright, Jermaine. I want off of this ride now. Somehow your explanation of how you should lie so you don't offend people is still managing to offend me. You don't need to remind me I'm not Alessandra Ambrosio I have a mirror and plenty of billboards to do that for me. Yet somehow, this charming SOB always stays on my good side.

The hour ended quickly as it always does when you just sit and talk to an extremely interesting and slightly-insane-in-a-good-way man.

A man who once stopped me mid sentence screaming "Oooohh!!!" as he stared, with his mouth agape, out the window behind me to the river. A few seconds later when he snapped out of it and I had turned around to see just a beautiful cloud formation over the water and nothing else, he said, "I thought we were being attacked, the sky looked so bright, but never mind."

A man who asked me to reschedule his classes for Mondays and Wednesdays so that he could go to his rollerskating class on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

There will be more to share regarding Jermaine, soon. There always is.

When we were walking out that night after our discussion on lying I commented on the faded old heart-covered bag I carry my books in, saying it was so old and torn, I was embarrassed. But don't worry, Jermaine managed to make me feel better.

"Yes, that bag is very TERRIBLE," he said laughing.

No comments:

Post a Comment