Monday, August 1, 2011

here's to ricardo balbin

Ricardo Balbin was clearly a very interesting and respectable man. I'm not shittin you. He was a political figure and lawyer in Argentina in the twentieth century. He was part of the Unión Cívica Radical which was an extreme leftist political group that emerged in the late 1800s. Balbin was persecuted for his political beliefs and even sent to jail during Peron's term as president. This guy was a mostly modern-day bad ass.

All of that being said, here is his statue in Plaza del Congreso.



I hope that one day if my life is noble enough that someone decides to erect a statue in my honor, they choose a better pose. Who sat down in the meeting to commence the statue design of this man and threw out the idea of "casual glance"? Let's immortalize Balbin and his strength of character by having him do what he did best, stand awkwardly and look slightly to the right. If I were Balbin, I'd have zombied my ass into that meeting and forced them to put me in a toga or SOMETHING. "No! I want horses, and I'll be on a chariot, and maybe give me a crown and have me raising my fist....I don't know, could you just have me doing something cool, mother fuckers?? I already DID my job, do I need to school you assholes on making a cool monument TOO???"

No comments:

Post a Comment