Friday, October 16, 2009

cosmetic surgery is sexy


I will admit that I've never seen this show. I can't imagine why I wouldn't want to with ads like this!

Obviously, a very popular show, as the prevalence of plastic surgery continues to rise. This type of show, and these types of ads are further glorification of the gruesome alteration of a woman's body. But don't men get plastic surgery, too? Yes, of course they do. But how sexy and appealing would it be to have a man in this type of TV ad? Stitches on his calves, or across his pecs. That wouldn't sell shit.

The woman in the ad is clearly not the average woman who would be going in for this type of surgery. Why would perfection need to be altered? For that matter, why would any woman need to be altered?

This is not the face of cosmetic surgery. I've never been a witness to this type of surgery, but I'm fairly certain it would not involve a woman standing in red heels with longer-than-average legs. Not to mention the fact that she is not under anesthesia, nor are the male doctors in scrubs.

The premise just seems like a bit too much. A woman needs a man to make her feel more attractive. I can't say that I'm immune to this type of thinking. I have my own insecurities, for sure. But these types of shows just reinforce the same ideas that are already floating around incessantly in our brain, despite our protests.

Female Patient - "Hi, I'm a very attractive female, can you make me even more attractive?"
Male Surgeon - "Of course I can. And maybe afterward, we can have sex."

No comments:

Post a Comment