Saturday, May 23, 2009

female comedians

It's interesting to me that female comedians never seem to be as good as male comedians. I don't think it's a matter of inherence but of how we've been trained to think about what should be appreciated. Female comedians say the same hilarious things that men do, and yet so many of them are criticized or hated for no tangible reason.
I've tried to figure out why so many people hate Kathy Griffin, Margaret Cho, Lisa Lampanelli, etc. Men are just as vulgar if not more so and yet women are the ones who take the heat. I myself am a victim of my upbringing as I don't typically find a lot of female comedians to be funny. Hard to believe how strong some influences can be over you without even realizing it.
I'm sure eventually femininity will no longer be such a factor and we can all just laugh at one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment